Saturday, January 1, 2011

Why I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight

"Hmm...I WAS very excited about 2010 but thus far we need a plumber, a TV repair technician, and my husband is about 5 minutes away from telling me he needs to go to the hospital to have a splinter removed from his foot. What are my chances of getting 2009 back?!" -- my January 1, 2010 Facebook status
 
Hence the reason I promised Jon we would ring in 2011 on a much more positive note. Unfortunately, I failed to come through on my promise. Owen and I have had a very pleasant first day of January, but Jon on the other hand, woke up this morning around 8:45, jumped out of bed, ran straight to the bathroom, and hasn't been able to remove his head from the toilet since. He's definitely not hung over so I'm left to believe he's got whatever crappy flu virus has been going around. Yuck.

The thing I don't understand is how well he's handling it. On the rare occasion when I'm vomiting uncontrollably for an entire day I can be found sobbing on the bathroom floor, begging the nearest person to put me out of my misery, but Jon is holding himself together really well. His demeanor is strangely calm, collected, and reasonable. It's almost as if he already realizes this too shall pass. He whines like a little a girl when he has a cold (or splinter), but my husband takes the flu like a MAN.

This is also the first major sickness we've had in the house since Owen was born so I'm doing everything I can to keep it from me and the baby. The last thing I want is the 10-month-old version of whatever this is. A sick baby's eyes can break a woman's heart.

 Anyway, Happy New Year from the Keenan household! We weren't successful at ringing in the new year without incident but that doesn't stop me from believing this year has the potential to be a very exciting, fulfilling, and prosperous one.

No comments: