Sunday, December 24, 2006

Look Katie, It Opens!

Five years ago Jon asked me to marry him on Christmas Eve. He somehow managed to convince me that I had to open one of my gifts early. He said it would all make sense later. And when I opened the small but not-ring-size-small box and found a little porcelain ornament with a Mr. and Mrs. Claus standing on top of a box it did make perfect sense--by that time we had started a tradition of buying each other a new ornament each year to fill our very small tree. I thought he had presented me with a cute new addition to our Charlie Brown Tree, but once he realized that I was making a move amidst my "Oohs" and "Ahhs" to hang it up, he quickly pointed out the little box the couple were standing on.

"Look, Katie, it opens!"

"Oh."

I opened the box, confused, and saw my engagement ring. I looked down at Jon, in shock, who was now kneeling on one knee, smiling. I gave him my what-in-the-world-are-you-doing-?! look, and he just kept smiling.

"I love you, Katie. Will you marry me?"

"Yeah."

I always look back on that moment and wonder why I couldn't use proper English and respond with a "Yes" or maybe an "Of course! I love you, too!" instead of a meager, yet very happy "Yeah." I think it was the shock. He had totally thrown me a curve ball. By that time it wasn't a question of whether or not we would get married but more when we could afford the ring. I had no idea he had already planned it all out himself. He was going for a surprise and he certainly got one. I got the best Christmas gift I have ever received, along with a little reminder to hang on the tree each year.

Oh! And the real reason he wanted me to open it early? It was so we could make the announcement at my parent's annual Christmas Eve party while everyone was together.


I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: