Monday, June 26, 2006

An Overactive Imagination

I found this in one of my old journal entries from July 31, 1999 and got a kick out of it:

Big mistake. I went to see The Blair Witch Project at the movie theater which was something I had been anticipating since the first time I had seen the previews for it. I can honestly say that I don't think I ever want to the see this movie again. It's the scariest movie I've ever seen and it's the first movie that has both made me feel so uncomfortable that I actually wanted to leave the theater, and had the power to keep me up until 5:00 in the morning with it replaying continuously through my mind. One scene just never goes away.

I realize now that I am the only person alive who believes that this movie is scary. To this day I have not seen it again. In fact, since it has been out on DVD I have owned it twice but never found the courage to watch it. I thought if I could just get myself to see it one more time I could find the humor in it that everyone else does. No luck.

The "one scene that never goes away" was the shot in the basement which just so happened to resemble my parent's basement. I had a tough time doing my laundry the following few months. I was convinced I would turn around to find a man with his face shoved into the corner.

The reason I find this so funny is because to this day when I am invited to see a horror film I have to say, "No, thanks. Te Blair Witch Project did me in. I don't watch horror films anymore."

No comments: