Monday, October 15, 2007

What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day

My plans for Saturday and Sunday were to begin work on the desk, but because it was cold, and I was still feeling overwhelmed by the massive size of the furniture, and because there were other things to do, I busied myself on everything but the desk.

Saturday Jon and I were invited to a Clam Bake at his mom's house. I did a little more-than-necessary fretting over how to tell friends and family about my new adventures in vegetarianism, but all of the nervousness was wasted on her. At some point in the last few years she and I have managed to move beyond our ordinary roles of mother-in-law and daughter-in-law to become real friends. As a friend and a woman who loves trying new things, she embraced my dietary changes, and boiled my portion of vegetables in a separate pot, away from the seafood, chicken broth and various meats that made up her extremely popular clam stew. And while everyone else dined on mussels and sausage, I filled up on pumpkin soup, corn on the cob, potatoes, and salad. For dessert we had sugar-free carrot cake that was so good I brought an extra piece home with me.

No one came right out and asked why I decided to follow a vegetarian diet, but I offered them this comparison anyway: "I look at it this way; I set out to explore my boundaries and I found an area that I really liked, and I would like to explore it more. I'm not ready to leave just yet."

No comments: