Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Difference Between Men and Women

My brother, a psychology major, is baffled by the differences between the male and female mind. He likes to conduct small, informal polls on the couples he meets in an attempt to further understand his studies. And a few months ago, over a pizza lunch on my parents then empty apartment floor, he asked Jon and I what was more important to us: the size of our television or how well the sofa fits with the room decor? For me the answer was a no-brainer. Of course the sofa is more important, but Jon said the size of the TV. My brother smiled and told us we gave the same answers as everyone else he'd asked that very question; men always say the television, and women always say the sofa.

I was reminded of my brother when Jon and I put up the Christmas tree last Monday, because while the colored lights and namesake ornaments look okay, I'm having a really hard time stopping myself from purchasing one of those tree trimming kits with glittery poinsettias and ribbons from Target. I don't think there is anything that makes my husband's eyes roll farther back in his head than spending money on decorating, let alone Christmas decorations that we'll only see once a year. They're a total waste of money he says, and a small part of me agrees, but I could also say the same thing about all of his electronic toys.

I fear this is a dilemma that will haunt us for most of the Christmas season. One way or another I will pick up one of those kits, but it will most likely be at the end of the season when everything is marked down to 75% off.

We also put up outside lights for the first time this year, but Jon couldn't complain about wasting money, because I received them free from my mom's stash. We hung the white icicle lights all along the pickett fence surrounding the front yard, and we weaved the regular lights through the big holly bush and into a few small trees. I'm not sure whether our yard looks more like a fairy garden at night or something out of a Dr. Seuss book, but I'm happy to have outdoor lights regardless.

No comments: