Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snowed In

Where to begin? Well, I went to see Wicked on Tuesday night and it was absolutely amazing. It gave me goosebumps. I loved everything about it; the music, the voices, the writing, the stage designs, I couldn't think of a way to make it any better especially not when the ticket was FREE. I got a hell of a deal on that one. The only problem with the entire night was the fact that I had to drive through the worst ice storm I have ever seen in order to get there. Five lanes on Interstate 71 North and it was me and one other motorist forcing our way through the 2 inches of ice/slush as freezing rain pelted our cars like bullets from every direction. Down to less than half the speed limit it took an hour to drive the 20 or so miles from Strongsville into Downtown Cleveland, but aside from large icicles dropping from bridges and light posts, I was pretty confident--slow and steady is the only way to do it. I walked in the doors of Playhouse Square just in time to see the large chandelier lights flashing their final warning to get into the theater and find your seats or the show will start without you. I obliged for the next 3 hours.

Wednesday, Thursday, and even parts of Friday went by in a blur of snow, sun and chaos at work. Tuesday night's ice storm turned into snow but the sun, however cold, was shining bright enough for the ice covered trees to sparkle like crystals in its rays. It had all melted by Thursday night, just as the news for the next storm hit the airwaves. And it's not like I didn't believe we could get as much snow as they were threatening, but for whatever reason I didn't think it would be as big a deal as it has turned out to be. There is a snow drift against the back door that is up to my knees. My low-riding four door Ford Focus with its racing tires aren't getting anywhere in this crap. Jon and I have already shoveled the driveway but you can't tell, and it doesn't really matter because no matter how hard we tried we couldn't muster up the energy to shovel our way out to the main roads. According to Ohio.com the city plans to be able to begin plowing the residential roads by Sunday morning. In other words, I'll be hunkering down inside the house for the weekend. It doesn't appear that I have any other choice.

No comments: