Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve is on December 24th, I think

I took a crack at myself back in January by saying it takes a rare talent to break all of your New Year's resolutions in the first week of the year, and I'm going to take another crack at myself here in December even though it does not require any special talents to forget what day it is; however, it does take an absurd amount of stupidity to not realize that it is Christmas Eve when you have 30 people coming for dinner that night.

Yes, you read that right. I forgot it was Christmas Eve on Wednesday and it didn't occur to me until my husband phoned home from work at 3:00 to see if I wanted him to pick up anything from the grocery store on his way home. I had 3 hours to clean the house I had ignored all month, get a shower, and decorate for my family's annual Christmas Eve party at 6:00.

And don't let me confuse you, I did not forget that I invited 30 people over for dinner on Christmas Eve, I just didn't realize that Wednesday was Christmas Eve, I thought it was on Thursday. I thought I had a whole day off work to get ready for a party taking place the next day. Like I said, an absurd amount of stupidity is required.

After talking to Jon and enduring the anger and frustration that violently radiated from him through the telephone line to me, and quickly rattling off a very short grocery list (which I had planned to pick up later that night for the party tomorrow) I kicked it into high gear and began frantically cleaning, running from here to there with what felt like lightning speed, and then quickly showering and blow-drying and straightening my hair, and throwing clothes in the washer so I wouldn't be forced to wear the dingy workout pants and sweatshirt I'd had on all day. I lit candles, turned on the tree lights, set up random Christmas decorations and I was finally ready.

I'd pulled a party together in 3 hours. I even had a spare 15 minutes to sit by the fire and flip through Christmas specials on the television before people began arriving. I did it, but I will probably never live it down.

No comments: